Mildred “Millie” Stella Anderson

Mildred “Millie” Stella Anderson

August 15, 1932 – April 24, 2021

Mildred Stella Grace Anderson passed from this life on April 24, 2021 to join her late husband, Francis Anderson and son, Randall Scott Anderson, and sisters, Cecelia Hilda, Ethel, Eva, Evelyn, Beatrice and Geraldine as well as her brothers, Paul, Arthur and Herbert.

Mildred (Millie, Mickey) was born Aug. 15, 1932, to Paul Teixeira and Ester Ethel Garcia Teixeira in Honolulu, Hawaii. As a young girl, she had a first-hand account of the Pearl Harbor tragedy as her home was very close to the beaches of Waikiki.

She moved with her mother to San Jose, Calif., where she eventually met her blue-eyed marine. They settled in Richland, Kansas, where Francis farmed and worked at Goodyear while she studied for her cosmetology degree and opened her first beauty salon, Sweet Leilani’s. Later she moved the salon to their house outside of Richland.

In 1968, they moved the family to Basin, Wyo., to fulfill Francis’ dream of becoming a cattle rancher. Life was tough there, both trying to work and farm. But she found joy in caring for runt pings, abandoned baby sheep, raising chickens (when they weren’t freezing to death in 40 below weather), and even raised two baby raccoons. After a time, they moved back to Kansas to Overbrook. She continued to be a hairdresser and a med-aide at Brookside Manor for well over 20 years. She then worked as an in-home health aide until she finally retired at 73.

Millie enjoyed spending time with her son Kendall Anderson and daughter-in-law Penny and with her grandkids, Ryan, Joshua, Lisa, Patrick, Russell, Owen and Sara McClure (Calvin) and Sara’s children, four great grandchildren, Brynlee, Oaklee, Finlee and Archer.

She enjoyed the company of her late sister-in-law Ruth Anderson and Ruth’s grandson, Tim Morse and his family. She enjoyed occasional trips to Oklahoma to see daughter, Leilani Rogers, husband, Robert Rogers and family, Jessica Fatel and husband Mitch Fatel, Andrew and Jennifer Mayhugh, Chandler Rogers and great grandson, Max Regan Fatel. She was happy to get to take a few trips to Wyoming to see Randall, daughter-in-law, Charlene Anderson and grandchildren, Bobby (Layton), Christina and Scott Anderson.

In her later years, she moved to Enid, Okla., and re-connected with her daughter. She loved trips to the Chinese Buffet and going on shopping trips. Later she had to move to assisted living where she would show off her walker with a monthly theme of decorations. She loved to flirt and visit with the residents who couldn’t wait to see what get up she would come out to the dining room in with her fancy cart (with a bicycle bell, I might add). She is survived by persons mentioned above as well as many nephews and nieces. She is also survived by her cat, Kelsey Bell, who resides with Sara and her family. As her brief illness left her speechless, I’d venture to say she is talking St. Peter’s ear off and giggling while she does it.

Final resting place is Overbrook Cemetery in Overbrook, Kansas.